SciTechsperience connects college students in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) disciplines with paid internships that provide rewarding hands-on experience in small to mid-sized Minnesota businesses. Companies receive assistance finding qualified candidates and a $1:$1 matching stipend to cover 50% of the intern’s wages (capped at $2,500) when they hire a student through SciTechsperience.
- Build Minnesota’s STEM workforce by providing hands-on learning opportunities to talented college students in dynamic Minnesota STEM industries.
- Keep talented STEM students in Minnesota after they graduate in order to strengthen and advance Minnesota’s knowledge-based economy.
- Businesses receive a wage match for up to 50% of the intern’s wages ($2,500 max), providing a low-cost solution for small and medium-sized companies that otherwise would not have access to qualified interns.
- Enables employers to find future employees, accelerate short-term business objectives and product development efforts, and revitalize an organization with fresh perspectives and specialized skill sets.
- Provides students with valuable insight into industry and the professional, hands-on experience necessary to secure a job their field after graduation.
By 2026, Minnesota is expected to have nearly 450,000 high-wage, high-tech jobs. Workforce development in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields is crucial to helping fill these positions. Our state must be proactive in attracting and retaining not only STEM workers, but also high tech companies and the high-quality jobs they provide.
SciTechsperience was created in 2011 and launched in 2012 to address Minnesota’s STEM workforce needs. Since the launch of the pilot, the SciTechsperience program has helped nearly 1300 students find paid internships in small to medium-sized Minnesota science and technology companies.
In 2017, the Minnesota legislature invested $2.7 million in SciTechsperience to build and retain the state’s STEM workforce. This funding allows SciTechsperience to dramatically increase the number of interns the program will place between 2017-2019, with support for at least 350 internships in the 2018-2019 program year.
The Minnesota High Tech Association is an Equal Opportunity Service Provider. Information on this site is available in alternative formats for people with disabilities by calling 952-230-4241 (voice) or by using your preferred relay service.